inode table full error

Keith Farrar keith at xanadu.COM
Sat Jun 10 04:28:44 AEST 1989

First: Thanks to Melinda Shore, John Grzesiak, and Guy Harris for
	their suggestions.

I'm afraid my previous posting did not state my problem clear enough.
The error I was receiving was "inode table full", and sure enough,
a check with /usr/etc/pstat -T showed that all 226 slots in the
in-core inode table were taken. I have since rebuilt my kernel
with a maxusers value of 100. I now have 1790 available entries,
but there are 1139 occupied slots. There seems to be a process, or
group of processes which fail to release their inodes when they die.
  The first candidate seems to be TOPS: I have been using tops to
back up the data on my pc.  When the ~180 files have been xferred
to my unix directories, another 230-300 entries pop up in the table.
(this is using TOPS for sun4 on another server, and NFS) These inodes
are all under my uid, so I assume they are a side effect of the xfer.

Any Ideas, Hints, Suggestions? (Please?)

Keith Farrar