/tmp

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Thu Jun 22 15:41:34 AEST 1989

In article <310 at ohs.UUCP>, mday at ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
> We have also done such a thing (link /tmp to /usr/tmp), with only one
> side effect.  When we enter single user mode for disk backups, it
> complains that about the set-up, and we have to manually mount /usr.

Not at all - just mkdir /usr/tmp, with /usr not mounted.  Then when
/usr is unmounted, /usr/tmp is on your root partition, but it exists.
When you mount /usr, everything in the root partition's /usr is hidden,
and whatever's in the filesystem appears there, complete with /usr/tmp.

I'd advise clearing /usr/tmp before mounting /usr in your boot script,
though, to make sure it doesn't accumulate junk and gradually fill your
root partition.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu