GNU, security, and RMS

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.bu.edu
Wed Jun 7 08:00:24 AEST 1989

>I disagree.  Maybe in a education environment no security may be okay, but I
>can't see this in a commercial/governmental environment.  No security on the
>computer is similar to allowing anyone to come into your office and look at
>anything they please, and also to allow them to change anything they please. I
>doubt if many people would like this.

Although I'd probably agree with what you're trying to say I just want
to point out that 10 Million PC's and about 1 Million Mac's say you're
(we're?) wrong. There's no concept of security on those machines
(heck, there's no concept of a "user" tho various things have been
hacked on top for network add-on software.) I'd have to call that
representative of "many" people. We can go back to "reason" but, hey,
11 million user's voted with their pocketbooks, hard to dispute.

Anyhow, not a flame, just seemed worth a moment's reflection.

	-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202