Cray I/O (was: Re: What kinds of things)

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Sun Jun 4 03:20:59 AEST 1989

In article <873 at mtxinu.UUCP> shore at mtxinu.com (Melinda Shore) writes:
>calls per keystroke (Unicos isn't multithreaded yet).  The best
>solutions are probably a distributed editor like rvi or NSF mounting
>your Cray directories on workstations and doing the editing there.

Distributed editors yes.  But mounting an NFS partition from
the cray and firing up a conventional  editor on the file will
result in its contents being copied across the wire in both
directions, which we were trying to avoid.  It is more convenient
for the user than using FTP (or a moral equivalent) twice, but
no less expensive for the super.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 890952  Houston, Texas  77289