6386 shutdown: I CAN'T BELIEVE at&t was really this stupid!

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Jun 17 06:08:44 AEST 1989

In article <483 at oglvee.UUCP> jr at oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:

>Think about it.  Not "You MAY reboot the system now."  Not "You may turn the
>power off or reboot the system now."  Oh no.  This is a command.  It says:
>"Reboot the system NOW!"

Well, a common reason to shut down a 386 machine is to bring it up under DOS
or a diagnostic disk, so the message isn't always inappropriate.

Has anyone else had a problem rebooting with ctl-alt-delete after getting
this message?  I generally get a rom diagnostic about a serial port failure
unless I push the reset button or power down after running unix.

Les Mikesell