Examples of multiple stream shell scripts

William Davidsen davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Thu Jun 8 05:56:03 AEST 1989

In article <258 at ethz-inf.UUCP> wyle at inf.ethz.ch writes:

| Consider the following pipleline:
|

|                cos2
|              /     \
|             /       \
| cos1 < file           cos4 |  cos5 > report
|             \       /       /
|              \     /       /
|                cos3 -------
|

| where the output of cos2 and cos3 are join(1)ed to form the input to
| cos4; the output of cos4 and cos3 are joined again for cos5.
|
| Can tee(1) send output to multiple *streams* (not files)?
| What about named pipes?

You have it. But what are you doing in cos5? Reading both streams at
once?? You can do them consecutively with cat, but not really mix them.
Well, maybe with a FIFO if you flushed the buffers, but I wouldn't like
to count on it.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen