stdout (was What "isatty"?)

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Jun 2 09:05:22 AEST 1989

In article <1954 at plx.UUCP> evan at plx.UUCP (Evan Bigall) writes:
>And to complete the circle, I would kill for a C compiler that would read
>from standard input so I could do:
>
>	lex -t -n input.l | sed -f fixlex.sed | m4 -s debug.m4 - | cc -c -

On a 4BSD system, you could

    lex -t -n input.l | sed -f fixlex.sed | m4 -s debug.m4 | /lib/cpp |
	/lib/ccom | /lib/c2 | as -o input.o

(remove /lib/c2 to avoid the equivalent of cc -O).  Suns demand that the
assembler input come from a file, unfortunately.  Other machines may not
even have a way to run the compiler guts directly.