GNU, security, and RMS

johnathan.tainter tainter at cbnewsd.ATT.COM
Fri Jun 9 09:43:53 AEST 1989

In article <19930 at adm.BRL.MIL> bzs at bu-cs.bu.edu (Barry Shein) writes:

>Gee, I feel a little like everyone was just looking for someone to
>jump all over about the security issue and I stepped right in it.
>
>Remember, I didn't say the 11 Million PC users were right, I just said
>that you can't deny their existence (in response to a claim that no
>one would buy a system without security, hah!)
PCs have security.  There security comes from the limitations of the PC.
I.E.  It has not concept of multiple users, it is severely limited in who
can get to it.  In most instances, these eliminated the need for further
security efforts.  Note however, that as these limits are slowly stripped
away from the machines that the added security is added in.

>Will someone explain to me exactly how usernames and passwords and
>file protections (a not unknown form of security) will protect against
>computer viruses??

File protections may not stop them, but it can significantly restrict
the harm they can do.

>	-Barry Shein
>Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
>1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202

--johnathan.a.tainter--
   att!ihlpb!tainter