The News System <news> news at adm.BRL.MIL
Thu Jun 15 21:48:26 AEST 1989

Via:        UK.AC.DL.DLGM; 15 JUN 89 11:36:42 BST
Via:        UK.AC.DARESBURY.CXA;  Thu, 15 Jun 89 11:36 GMT
            (V40 at UK.AC.DARESBURY.DLGM
From:       Bill Purvis <wh%CXA.DARESBURY.AC.UK at cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Date:       Thu, 15 Jun 89 11:33:53 +0100
To:         unix-wizards%arpa.brl%earn-relay at dlgm.daresbury.ac.uk
Subject:    vmsbackup

We are running a Convex C220 with Convex Unix (BSD 4.2 + ...). We also
have on site an number of Vaxen running VMS. We would like to be able to
read VMS backup tapes and have acquired a pd program called vmsbackup
which seems to work on some tapes but not others. I have already done
some debugging and enhanced the program a bit but we have troubles
with some backup tapes. My question is: Does anyone have a REAL
definition of the format of VMS Backup tapes, including all the
`improvements'. I guess this should really be a question for the
VMS net, but I don't have access to that.

Please reply directly, if anyone is interested I can summarize to the
net later.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Purvis                 ||      wh at uk.ac.dl.cxa     (JANET)
SERC, Daresbury Lab         ||      +925 603 357
Warrington, Cheshire        ||
England                     ||