/tmp

kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
Sat Jun 10 02:02:00 AEST 1989

> What bad bad things happen if I symbolically link /tmp to /usr/tmp?  My
> root file system is tiny and I run out of space often.  Thanks to the
> Mike McNally                              uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5

Nothing bad should happen.  I have done this on a few of our BSD and SVR3
systems where we didn't have enough disk space to create a standalone /tmp
partition, and /usr had about 60 Mb free space.  Just make sure your boot time
scripts don't "rm -rf /tmp; mkdir /tmp" like one System V host I have did.