CALL FOR VOTES -- proposal to create comp.sys.mips

terry jones trj at portia.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jun 14 02:59:09 AEST 1989

[this article is CROSSPOSTED, followups should be directed to NEWS.GROUPS]

		*   NOTE: This is my second attempt at         *
		*   posting this article.  Apparently, the     *
		*   first attempt failed.  However, if the     *
		*   first posting (the one without this note!) *
		*   should reemerge from whatever bit bucket   *
		*   it fell into, please follow the revised    *
		*   deadlines in this article.  Sorry about    *
		*   the confusion.   - trj                     *

Call for VOTE -- comp.sys.mips

In light of the favorable response to my "call for discussion" for
the creation of comp.sys.mips (article <2479 at portia.stanford.edu>),
this is a "call for vote".  Your participation to determine if the
following newsgroup should be formed is encouraged:

Proposed
--------

	1. Name:	comp.sys.mips

	2. Charter:	Provide a place for discussion of issues
			related to the products (including systems,
			chips, compilers, etc.) from MIPS Computer
			Inc.  In addition, *relevant* topics about
			systems based on MIPS technology from other
			vendors are discussed.

	3. Mod/UnMod:	The group will be unmoderated.

How To Vote
-----------

DO NOT post votes -- mail them to me.  Posted votes WILL NOT be
counted.  Please cast your vote in the subject line of your mail
message.  (Feel free to discuss the topic at length in the text of
your mail message.)  PLEASE USE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING SUBJECT LINES
TO CAST YOUR VOTE:

	Subject: comp.sys.mips -- YES vote
	Subject: comp.sys.mips -- NO vote

Mail should be directed to the following address:

	trj at lll-lcc.llnl.gov

If you are not able to mail to the above after at least 2 tries,
please try trj at lll-crg.llnl.gov or trj at portia.stanford.edu.

All voters will receive a reply acknowledging that their vote has
been registered.

THE VOTE ENDS 30 DAYS FROM NOW (which is July 13th).  NO VOTES RECEIVED
AFTER THIS DATE WILL BE REGISTERED!

Remember, regardless of your input during the discussion period,
you must cast a vote during the next thirty days in order to have
an effect on the fate of this proposed newsgroup.

The Results
-----------

At roughly 10 days and 20 days into the vote, I will post interim
results.  The interim results will include the current totals and
the names of any voters which I have not been able to acknowledge.

After July 13th, I will post the results to news.groups.  The results
will include the totals, and a list of all the participants and
how they voted.

If, and only if, there are 100 more YES votes than NO votes,
comp.sys.mips will be created as proposed.

So there you have it
--------------------

Let me know what you think!  Hopefully the people at MIPS will
see this as a "good thing" and get involved...

   - let the vote begin
     terry

terry jones            |
lawrence livermore lab |  Elsa:  You have your father's eyes.
POB 808  MS: L-67      |  Indy:  And I have my mother's ears.  The rest
Livermore, CA 94550    |         belongs to you.
trj at lll-lcc.llnl.gov   |  Elsa:  Looks like the best parts are spoken for.
trj at lll-crg.llnl.gov   |
(415) 423-9834         |      - from "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade"