awk & variables

Stefan Loesch stefan at yendor.phx.mcd.mot.com
Thu Jun 1 08:30:07 AEST 1989

In article <23206 at dhw68k.cts.com> jaff at dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Jaffe) writes:
>Awk seems to be lacking something, but maybe it's really there.  I want to
>match a pattern that I don't know until I execute the script, so I want to
>pass in a pattern to match in a variable.  I can't get this to work!  Here's

I ran into this problem before (years ago). At that time I was firm in the
shell AND in awk :-), and played arround a couple of days. As far as I
remember, the only way I found, was writing the (shell)-variable value to
a file, and reading it from awk.
If I could only find that old script ....

Hope that helps
Stefan