New (GNU) kernels--what I think

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.ORG
Wed Jun 14 09:07:33 AEST 1989

As quoted from <2514 at gandalf.UUCP> by ml at gandalf.UUCP (Marcus Leech):
+---------------
| > No, they should pull the next or previous lines from a circular buffer in
| > the driver. If you're going to duplicate the history mechanism in all
|
| No.  History buffers of a user-selectable arbitrary size don't belong in
|   the kernel, which I why I suggested the callback-like interrupt mechanism.
+---------------

Streams, folks -- Streams with the capability to push *user-mode* modules
would be best.  Then any user can push his/her own module.  I discussed this
with der Mouse in this newsgroup some time back; if there be archives, look
them up.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery at ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
      Send comp.sources.misc submissions to comp-sources-misc@<backbone>
NCoast Public Access UN*X - (216) 781-6201, 300/1200/2400 baud, login: makeuser