Two identical filenames in one directory!

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Fri Oct 6 00:28:42 AEST 1989

In article <374 at galadriel.bt.co.uk> pcf at galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:
>Actually I have done this - but it is rather hamperred by not having a binary
>editor in UNIX . I used vi and it didnt work very well, there is nothing
>like rebooting and finding the whole of /usr/bin in lost+_found to
>convince you that a biunary editor would be nice.

vi won't edit a device file, and we already covered writing directories.
What exactly did you do???  vi tells me `Block special' when I say `vi
/dev/root'.

>(No - I am _NOT_ joking)

bpatch is in the UNIX archives.  I've been using it lately to locate
my shadow password file which was recently added to the free list ;-)

It is somewheres along the line of many ``SUPERZAP'' like programs.  I've
used it to patch just about everything I've need to patch.

I have the sources on this machine if anyone wants to fire up UUCP and
fetch them.  It is in /usr/archive/bpatch.shar.Z.  The phone number is
in the .sig, login as uucp [ or kermit ], no password, 2400 baud.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Things you didn't want to know:------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | The real meaning of MACH is ...