BSD file system

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Oct 22 06:49:29 AEST 1989

>	Another way of looking at the multi-group capability is that
>	a process has a main/primary group - the one listed in the
>	password file and multiple secondary groups as determined by
>	the group file.  It makes sense to me to use the primary
>	group for purposes of file ownership.

The problem is that it may not be a *valid* way of looking at the
multi-group capability, in that it doesn't fit reality; there may not be
some group that can reasonably act as a user's "primary group".  A user
might work on several things during a session, and not want to use
"newgrp" whenever they change what they're working on to make some
different group be their "primary group".

>       Directories such as /tmp typically are owned by groups of which
>       users are not members, this has led to surprises at least once
>       for me.

In SunOS 4.x and S5R4, the set-GID bit on a directory specifies whether
files created in that directory inherit the group from the parent
directory or get it from whatever of a user's groups happens, by chance,
to be the group in their password file entry.  On such a system, you
could turn the set-GID bit off on "/tmp", or get the system
administrator to do it....