Job Control (a la csh/ksh) from within C

Paul Raveling raveling at isi.edu
Tue Oct 17 10:07:05 AEST 1989

In article <11237 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

> >	P.S.:  It's easier to implement good process/job control
> >	if you slip a more capable kernel underneath Unix instead
> >	of building a kludge over it.
>
> This is a false dichotomy.  The UNIX kernel can be reengineered to
> properly handle such things, and in fact it has been.

	My original comment was poorly qualified.  What I meant
	to suggest was actually replacing a Unix kernel with a
	different kernel plus a Unix kernel interface layered
	between the new kernel and existing Unix-based software.

	A limited example was EPOS, which didn't have a full Unix
	interface layer, but it did have enough of one to allow
	compiling & running the old V6 icheck program without
	source changes.  This was needed because one of the 3
	file systems that EPOS supported was the Unix (V6) file
	system.

	An intriguing idea would be multiple interface layers
	to support different dialects of Unix (Sys V, BSD, HP-UX,...)
	on a per-job or per-process basis.

Paul Raveling
Raveling at isi.edu