modem programs for Unix

Wayne D. Johnson johnson at ncrons.StPaul.NCR.COM
Thu Oct 26 00:54:31 AEST 1989

In article <ROWE.89Oct24152801 at stella.cme.nist.gov> rowe at cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe) writes:
>I don't know the details on obtaining it, but I have used Kermit for a
>number of years now.  It runs on VMS, UNIX, MS-DOS, and tons of other
>architectures.  Does anyone out there know if its ftp'able from CMU?

>From the Kermit distribution file aanetw.hlp:

Effective August 18, 1988, the Kermit files are available on host
CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, a VAX 8700 running UNIX (Ultrix).  The IP host number
is 128.59.40.130.  You may get files from it with anonymous FTP.  The Kermit
files are in directories kermit/a, kermit/b, kermit/c, kermit/d, and kermit/e.
You can also send mail to Info-Kermit and Info-Kermit-Request at this address.

The process is roughly like this: FTP to CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, login
anonymous (lowercase only), any password (we prefer that you use "user at host"
for the password, specifying your userid and hostname, for our statistics),
and then CWD (or CD) to kermit, which contains a file read.me, which you
should read.  Then CWD (or CD) to a, b, c, d, or e and GET or MULTIPLE GET (or
MGET) the files you want.  Note that file names are lowercase, and you must
refer to them that way on CUNIXC, even though all the Kermit documentation
lists the filenames in uppercase!

Since CUNIXC is a heavily-used machine, please try not to FTP files from it
during peak hours.  There are presently no formal restrictions, so please
don't overburden the system.  If the response is very slow, cancel your
session and try again later.

As of April 1987, you may also access the same set of files, in the same way,
on a new host, watsun.cc.columbia.edu, IP host number 128.59.40.130.  Response
time from watsun should be better than cunixc in most cases.  At some time in
the future, cunixc Kermit file access will be phased out in favor of watsun.

You can also access kermit files care/of Oklahoma State via anon UUCP: