pseudo terminal problems

Eric Markwardt ewm at punjab.udev.cdc.com
Fri Oct 6 05:58:26 AEST 1989

Hi.. Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but I'm
just getting started on working with this stuff.

My problem is that I have an application which sets up a communications
link between a pty and a 3Com CS/210 (I'm trying to hang a modem off
the 210 and use it for uucp).

I fire up the application and it opens the socket between the pty
and the 210, sets up the pty, etc., just fine.
I tip to the device (the pty) and I can talk to the modem.  The
real problem is that the characters coming back to tip are not
echoed until a LF is seen - sort of a problem when uucico can
never see the login: prompt...

I've stuck some debugging stuff in and the application is reading
from the CS/210 and writing the characters back to the pty as the
modem and/or remote machine echo them - they just never appear in
my tip session (like they're getting buffered somewhere?).

So - is there a way I can force the characters to show up by flushing
buffers or something?

Any help anyone could provide would be *greatly* appreciated.  If
it helps any, I'm running on a Mips M/2000 with RISC/os 4.0 (Sys V/BSD
cross).

   -Eric

Eric Markwardt                E-mail:  ewm at punjab.udev.cdc.com
Control Data Corp.            AT&T:    (612) 482-3590