Two identical filenames in one directory!

terryl at tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM terryl at tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM
Wed Oct 4 18:22:14 AEST 1989

In article <374 at galadriel.bt.co.uk> pcf at galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) writes:
+From article <705 at lakart.UUCP>, by dg at lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough):
+> From article <22 at minya.UUCP>, by jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers):
+>
+> If I were a _REAL_ hacker, I'd suggest opening the raw disk device
+> (/dev/rsm0g or whatever) for UPDATE, seeking along it looking for
+> the string "active", and then just patching the disk itself. [1]
+> I do this on a fairly regular basis to my machine at home, but then
+> the file structure of CP/M is a bit simpler that UNIX :-)
+
+Actually I have done this - but it is rather hamperred by not having a binary
+editor in UNIX . I used vi and it didnt work very well, there is nothing
+like rebooting and finding the whole of /usr/bin in lost+_found to
+convince you that a biunary editor would be nice.

     Any hacker worth his/her salary should be able to adb a cooked device
and fix a file system. Maybe this should be one of the questions someone was
recently asking to find out who/what a wizard is like....

+(No - I am _NOT_ joking)

      Neither am I. I have done this (adb'ed a V7 file system to fix exactly
the original problem that was described: non-NUL characters after a terminating
NUL in the file name part of a directory entry....).