*** NEW SYSADMIN MALING LIST ***

Mon Oct 9 15:58:16 AEST 1989

        ANNOUNCEMENT OF A NEW SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION MAILING LIST

This an announcement of a new mailing list for system administration
of larger sites.  The purpose is to create a forum where system
administrators and managers can discuss various problems related
to their sites.  Some examples of topics are:

        - User account administration
        - Backup strategies
        - Administration of networks
        - Administration of machines across networks
        - Administration of very large machines
        - Administration of hetrogenious environments
        - Automation of administration tasks
        - Centralization versus de-centralization of system
                  administration tasks and responsibilities.
        - Discussion and comparison of procedures and policies.
        - Interfacing with users and upper management
        - Information and discussion of third party
                  system management software.

The list is moderated, only to ensure the discussions are limited to
topics of interest for larger sites.  Vendor information is welcomed,
but marketing hypes will go to /dev/null.  Discussion of sensitive
security issues will be forwarded to the security mailing list.

I am starting this list, because I believe there is a need for this.
Both in my work, at conferences, and at the POSIX 1003.7 system
administration commission, I have talked with many system administrators,
who have problems with administration of larger Unix installations.
We can as well face it;  the tools comming with the standard Unix
destribution are not up to do the job, and it is often made difficult
because the vendors don't know enhough about the real system administration
problems.

It has been my experience, that many of the problems the system administrators
are facing around the world are in many ways the same.  By having a
discussion of these problems between the people who are facing the problems
in their everyday work, I hope that the UNIX community at large will be
able to benefit.

              System Administrators of the world, Unite!!!!

If you want to join the list, please send e-mail to

          sysadm-request at sysadmin.com
                       or
        ...uunet!sysadmin!sysadm-request

Submission to the list should be sent to

          sysadm-list at sysadmin.com
                       or
        ...uunet!sysadmin!sysadm-list

Bjorn Satedeva