What SHOULD go in the kernel

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Oct 19 21:25:10 AEST 1989

In article <3596 at frame.UUCP> eeg at frame.UUCP (Eric Griswold) writes:
>  If, after this much thought, there still is no way to implement it as
>a user process, consider putting it in the kernel.

But first, think carefully about what service it is in GENERAL terms
that the kernel is not providing, and design an elegant implementation
that provides the GENERAL service, rather than just the specific need
that prompted the issue.

Of course, we were talking originally about device drivers.
My advice there is to keep them as simple as possible so long as
all the legitimate uses of the device are supported.