Pronunciations (was: And how do you pronounce "csh"?)

The Grey Wolf greywolf at unisoft.UUCP
Sat Oct 28 07:51:59 AEST 1989

In article <2375 at convex.UUCP> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>In article <440 at nixba.UUCP> mike at nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:
[ various pronounciations of UNIX words ... ]

>My basic tendency, and those of most (although not all) around me
>is to say the UNIXism in the easiest possible way, that is, with the
>fewest syllables.  Thus I nearly never spell out a command I could
>otherwise pronounce.  The first three in Mike's list are some of these.
>Yes, and that means I say "vye" as well, but tough noogies.  Paul Dubois
>and I just share that distinctive Madisonian accent.  It's true that
>this introduces an ambiguity with "ex" and "X11", but context always
>seems sufficient to differentiate them.

Usually, the "eleven" on the end differentiates sufficiently.

>|		strrchr = stir - recker

How about "stir-r-care" or "stir-r-char"?

>|		uucico = you - you - kee - ko
>agreed.

I don't know, usually due to the fact that uucico can act strange on
occasion, I call it "you-you-SY-ko" (could be re-spelled "uupsycho")...
>|		HUPCL = hoop - sell

Usually this gets expanded to "hupclose", since that's what it means...

Incidentally, the thread which started this all, namely, "How do you pro-
nounce ''csh''?"...

Ever since I was a wee luser (ages ago), I heard it referred to as "sish".
I have heard people ask me, though, "Do you have kish on board?", and I
tell them, "Oh, yeah, we have sish, kish, teesish, bash, or if you want it,
just plain ol' S-H..."

I get the strangest looks and I have *no* idea why.... %^D

--
"Insane I may be.  I am not stupid."	Antryg Windrose <the mad wizard>