Job Control (a la csh/ksh) from within C

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Oct 7 10:44:07 AEST 1989

In article <10041 at venera.isi.edu> raveling at isi.edu (Paul Raveling) writes:
>	There've been a number of decent-to-good examples of
>	this sort of facility, but I haven't seen one yet in
>	a Unix system.

The /proc filesystem and associated ioctls has existed for quite some
time.  You should be seeing more commercial UNIX implementations with
such facilities.  (Silicon Graphics has been shipping one for over a
year now.)

>	P.S.:  It's easier to implement good process/job control
>	if you slip a more capable kernel underneath Unix instead
>	of building a kludge over it.

This is a false dichotomy.  The UNIX kernel can be reengineered to
properly handle such things, and in fact it has been.