What should go into a security-checking shell script?

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Tue Oct 24 14:11:57 AEST 1989

In article <363 at nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> bernstei at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>The title is self-explanatory. I'll try to archive all responses.
>
> Subject: Re: What should go into a security-checking shell script?

The real question is what can you afford to not put into your
shell script?

shell is too clumsy for something as important as a security
checking program.  There was a little file scanner posted some time
back that can be used as a nice start.

Most of the inode is security-relevant.  Owner, group, mode, size
and modification time are all important.  The checksum and file
format may also be interesting, so the ability to specify a per-file
checking program is desirable.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Things you didn't want to know:------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | The real meaning of EMACS is ...