Pronunciations (was: And how do you pronounce "csh"?)

Roland McGrath mcgrath at paris.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Oct 30 05:45:15 AEST 1989

In article <2002 at zen.co.uk> frank at zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) writes:

   the editors ex, vi and sed were a pun on the notion that they were the
   last words in editing: hence the pronunciation of their names as sounding
   like the last letters of the alphabet (needs an English accent to work).
   Consequently, my normal pronunciations of them are: eks, vy and sehd.
   Isn't logic wonderful, especially when it's wrong?

Especially when its foundations are wrong.  ex, vi, and sed were written by
Americans, who pronounce the the final three letters of the alphabet eks, why,
zee.

   Some other local "sayings":

	   MS-DOS            Domesdos  (something we put down toilets here)

Mess-Dos and MS-Dog are common deregatory versions.

   Now, how do you pronounce Knuth?

The real answer is that you *do* pronounce the K (k-nooth).
The facetious answer is, of course, "Don".
--
	Roland McGrath
	Free Software Foundation, Inc.