TTY, speak now, or forever

voss at s.cs.uiuc.edu voss at s.cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 21 02:40:40 AEST 1989

I am just starting a small project to write a "tty" driver for a research
operating system.  I got the word today that I should NOT clone the BSD/SYSV
versions.  Quote "no IOCTLs".  Basically, I have an almost clean slate to
work with.  Functionally, I intend to base my work roughly on BSD `man 4 tty`.
(Because a friend will be implementing a Unix compatibility mode on top.)

The questions:

Is there anything NOT in `man 4 tty` that you think I should put in my driver?

Is there anything IN `man 4 tty` you think I should NOT put in my driver?

Why?

Feel free to get slightly crazy, I'ld rather discard, than neglect an idea.
(WARNING: You may be using my driver someday, better speak up now! ;-)

If you want to get real crazy, or real long. INTERNET: voss at cs.uiuc.edu