UNIX history made easy

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Oct 12 12:19:28 AEST 1989

In article <8600002 at kolmogorov> ari at kolmogorov.physics.uiuc.edu writes:
>this doesn't seem to interfere with doing physics.  Oh well,
>I guess I'm not a scientist after all.

If you had no idea who Newton, Einstein, Heisenberg, or Feynman were,
then yes I would have to say you weren't qualified as a physicist!

Remember, this thread started when somebody reported that his colleague,
who billed himself as a professional computer scientist, said that he
had no idea who Ken Thompson is or what he had done.  To me (and others)
that is comparble illiteracy to a "physicist" not knowing the names I
mentioned above.

Nobel prizes, Turing awards, etc. are of course only loosely correlated
with genuinely great names in their respective fields.