Real Time UNIX (was: Re: How do you tell a wizard?)

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Oct 16 09:14:59 AEST 1989

In article <21153 at adm.BRL.MIL> Kemp at DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>Doug Gwyn writes:
> >     Need guaranteed real-time response for certain processes.
>
>Gee Doug, how do you do that one, other than running under Masscomp's
>Real-Time Unix or using a slave processor with something like VRTX or
>VX/Works?

I was under the impression there was a real-time UNIX from AT&T
as I saw references to UNIX/RT ages ago.  I can't imagine AT&T
dumping something useful.  [ Then again ... ]

Also, I saw references to MERT in the 1978 BSTJ UNIX edition.
Isn't this available for hosting real-time UNIX implementations?

>Or by "real-time" do you mean "anything under 10,000 usec"?  :-)

Easy.

Buy a TIMEX Sinclair. ;-)

--

It is very worth pointing out that Plexus used UNIX kernels on
their serial I/O processor cards.  I don't know if anyone from