TTY, speak now, or forever

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA
Tue Oct 31 04:23:01 AEST 1989

In article <4055 at phri.UUCP> roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>In article <216100015 at s.cs.uiuc.edu> voss at s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>> anything NOT in `man 4 tty` that you think I should put in my driver?
>
>	One of my long-time wants for a tty driver is a 256-long look up
>table.  This is probably a feeping creature,

It definately is. Handling 16 bit characters is going to require a
bit more than 256 bytes ...

To make this truly useful, you would want to specify a character to
function mapping, with an ioctl to allow the user to plug in a user
level function address which would be called when that particular
character is encountered in the input queue (or to specify a kernel
routine to handle common cases). You could (perhaps) save on space
by using a dynamic hash table to map the characters to their routines,
by having a mappable default action for any character not found on
the hash chain This is starting to get ugly.

It sounds like we just reinvented SVR3 streams ...

--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
  {alberta,decwrl,lsuc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA

                  The Connector is the Notwork.