Paging should come before multiplexing

Dan Bernstein bernstei at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
Sun Oct 8 14:22:08 AEST 1989

If paging comes after multiplexing, then it can't be used to cut off a
long output, because it can't distinguish that long output from short
outputs multiplexed into the middle.

I don't want a simplistic pager whose only functions are to slow down
the output so that I can read it, and to make me type ^Q after every
page. I want a pager that can cut off the remaining pages---so I will
not put my pager in the terminal.

This argument does not apply to ``simplistic'' pagers, and it would not
apply if the distinctions between processes could be preserved through
multiplexing.

---Dan Bernstein, brnstnd at acf10.nyu.edu, bernstei at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu