UNIX history made easy

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sun Oct 8 00:20:15 AEST 1989

In article <1694 at muffin.cme.nbs.gov> libes at cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) writes:
>Irrelevant.  Any computer scientist worth his salt should know every
>person who has won the Turing Award, and they should have a reasonable
>understanding of why.  I don't care if they have never used UNIX.

Somehow I doubt this.  I don't recall having an instructor tell
me I needed to know who Ken Thompson was prior to teaching data
structures or interrupt handling.

Ken Thompson is the only person I know of who received the Turing
Award.  But then I'm not all that impressed with Turing.  Can't
find tapes long enough to run on his machines ;-)
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Things you didn't want to know:------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | The real meaning of MACH is ...