BSD file system

Rico Tudor rico at dehn.
Thu Oct 19 17:56:48 AEST 1989

While porting my file archiver from System V to a DECStation 3100, the
following questions regarding system calls have arisen:
	(1) How are permissions set on a symbolic link?
	(2) How are access & modification times set on a symbolic link?
	(3) What purpose is served by taking the group ID of a newly
		created file from the parent directory, rather than the
		process?
In Questions (1) and (2), chmod(2) and utimes(2) follow the link, which I
don't want.  I am handling Question 1 by temporarily altering the process
"umask", but I don't like it.  The 3100 runs "Ultrix", a BSD variant.