ls -A

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Oct 10 07:54:09 AEST 1989

In article <17116 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> The most common name for a command to give a user quick and easy
> password free access to root is '.s'.

I've never seen that one. I have run into one called /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.z,
though. That was amusing.

> I've seen this same scheme,
> a '.', followed by a single character, used to name all manner of
> files people aren't supposed to see.

So? I'm not suggesting making .? invisible to 'ls -A' or anything like
that. I'm just pointing out that, *for most purposes*, when you want
to do something with all the files other than . and .. it's quick and
easy to use .??* to match them all.

Personally, I look for trapdoors with things like 'find' rather than 'echo
*'... but I'm thankful for the insight into how you maintain your C2 secure
systems.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'