Ever seen nondeterministic a.out execution from some filesystems?

Mike Haertel mike at thor.acc.stolaf.edu
Mon Oct 9 05:32:42 AEST 1989

In article <11827 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu writes:
>File system /tmp on our 4.3BSD vax8600's has a block size equal to its
>frag size equal to 8192.  When I compile and run different programs in
>this file system, sometimes they mysteriously die of Illegal instruction
>faults.  If I compile them ten times in a row, half the time the
>resulting a.out won't run.  Copying the a.out to another file in /tmp
>often fixes the problem.  Copying the file to another file system and
>running it from there always fixes the problem.  Only on /tmp do I
>have this problem.  If I run a faulting a.out under adb, it will fault
>and when I examine instructions near where it faults I see zeroes!

I've never seen that happen on a 4.3BSD vax, but something like it
happens on my 3b1.  Often when an executable has just been built,
immediately executing it will get a trap.  Waiting a few seconds
or running sync seems to cure the problem.  My guess would be that
VM paging isn't cooperating with the Unix block cache, in the case
of the 3b1.  I *really doubt* Berkeley would have that problem, but
it's something you can look for.
--
Mike Haertel <mike at stolaf.edu>
``There's nothing remarkable about it.  All one has to do is hit the right