csh won't work on Suns...

The Grey Wolf greywolf at unisoft.UUCP
Fri Oct 27 13:50:07 AEST 1989

I have a (somewhat modified) version of csh; taken from standard BSD
sources (yes, we have a source license).  Now all I've done is gone in
and modified a few things like some of the error messages, improved a bit
upon the ESC-completion and the ^D-listing and a few other neat nifty
goodies (which I will post to the net as context diffs if I can do it w/o
getting in trouble!).  It compiles on VAXen (its native source is VAXen),
and with a bit of hacking, a pyramid, and, though it will compile on a Sun,
running it is a bit of a trick.

( NOTE: I took the unadulterated csh sources and tried them, and, as I
suspected, it was nothing I had done.)

When I run the shell, it works fine, sources my .cshrc and everything is
just hunky-dory.  However, after I run a single non-builtin command, the
shell dies the next time I hit an interrupt, where it should be just longjmp()-
ing back to the beginning of process(), i.e. what normally happens when you
hit an interrupt.
If I run it with the -f flag, everything is just fine, and it stays so.
If I run it as a login shell, it sources my .cshrc, my .login, and then
when I hit an interrupt, it dies immediately.  I can find nothing which
would exhibit this behaviour.

Are some of the signals not being masked properly?
Is there a different/additional level of signal masking/blocking/fiddling
which SunOS 3.x/4.0.x do which I am unaware of?
"Has anyone else had this problem?" 8^}

If anyone can supply me with an answer, I'd be most appreciative.

advTHANKXance!

 " (terminal won't do umlauts!)
Roan Anderson, Software Engineer, System Test
UniSoft Corporation, Emeryville, CA
...!{apple,sun,amdahl,lll-lcc,pyramid,sequent,ucbvax,uunet}!unisoft!greywolf
--
"Insane I may be.  I am not stupid."	Antryg Windrose <the mad wizard>