UNIX history made easy

Don Libes libes at cme.nbs.gov
Sat Oct 7 04:25:28 AEST 1989

In article <14920 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> ihaka at diamond.UUCP (Ross Ihaka) writes:
>In article <7604 at bunny.GTE.COM> abh0 at GTE.COM (Andrew Hudson) writes:
>|[Discussion of Ivy league schools using non-UNIX computers deleted]
>
>[Discussion of Yale as an example of such a school, and
>administration not appreciating the problem - deleted]

Irrelevant.  Any computer scientist worth his salt should know every
person who has won the Turing Award, and they should have a reasonable
understanding of why.  I don't care if they have never used UNIX.

Seeing as how Thompson was awarded this most prestigious prize in
computer science during the time this person was a "highly respected
computer scientist", it is hard to understand how they wouldn't know
the name and the accomplishment associated with it.  This is like a
physicist not being aware of a contemporary Nobel laureate in physics.

Don Libes          libes at cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes