"max N" clause on "pseudo-device pty" in config file

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.dec.com
Thu Oct 5 13:25:12 AEST 1989

In article <952 at aoa.UUCP>, mbr at aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) writes:

> [ The customer wants more pseudo-terminals... ]
>
> [ Quotes part of the Guide to System Configuration. ]
>
>      pty	For pseudoterminal support (default = 16, specify max n for
> 		 more than 16)."
>
> So, thinking no harm, I modified the config file to read:
>
>     pseudo-device 	pty	max 64

	Leave off the "max" and it should work.

	pseudo-device pty 64

	It sounds like the documentation is being unclear about
	what you're supposed to do.  The part about the default
	being 16 also seems to be a bit of a mystery to me.  Check
	the file pty.h in your kernel build directory and see
	how many it says.  For the configuration file for my VAX
	8800 it said 64, but a test configuration file gave 1.

	Please use the Reader Comment sheet at the end of the
	manual to our documentation group know that that section
	needs to be clarified.

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com