Need Help with HP Laser Jet (II) printcap

John P. Rouillard rouilj at umb.umb.edu
Tue Oct 3 08:16:05 AEST 1989

I am attempting to get an HP Laser Jet working off of a Sun 386i.  I
thought I saw a printcap for this beast go by a while ago, but
apparently I didn't save it.

This HP is being switched between network and local (IBM Pc clone)
connections so I can't diddle the switches on it unless I can get it to
work with both machines.

It is currently set up 9600 baud, 8 bit, 1 stop, no parity.

With the work I have done so far, I can send a specially prepared file
to it.  The file has the <esc>E or whatever to reset the hp before it
dumps a straight text file to it.  When I try to spool (via lpr) a
regular file I get blank pages (the correct amount as far as I can
see), but no text at all.  This also happens if I cat a regular file
to the device.

If I hook up a monitor to the line, I can see all of the text being
passed down the line, but the HP just doesn't want to print it.  There
is no error indication or anything.

I AM using translate to crlf on output.  I have been hacking at the
printcap for 6 hours so far and I am not getting anywhere fast. I
realise this isn't a large amount of time, but I am a student taking a
heavy load and don't have the time to go through all of the
intracasies of RTFM.

Anybody who can give me a printcap, I would appreciate it.

=== The opinions expressed above are all mine and belong to nobody else. ===
    John Rouillard           U-Mass Boston          rouilj at umb.umb.edu
    Physics Major            Harbor Campus          husc6!umb!rouilj
    Physics Department       Boston, MA 02125       rouilj%umb.edu at RELAY.CS.NET

--
=== The opinions expressed above are all mine and belong to nobody else. ===
    John Rouillard           U-Mass Boston          rouilj at umb.umb.edu