Insane compiler problem, cc, unix v7

Nick Sayer mrapple at quack.UUCP
Tue Oct 31 05:51:08 AEST 1989

In article <1013 at quack.UUCP>, mrapple at quack.UUCP (Nick Sayer) writes:
> I have been hacking on this one for six hours straight.

I hacked on it a little more. Within any ".c" file that includes
"defs.h," the first function defined is given an extra paramater
"s." This paramater is not visible in the preprocessor output.
Any other paramater "s" will, naturally, cause a "redeclaration
of formal paramater" error. There are no characters in the
preprocessor output except for program text, tabs, newlines and
"#" lines with line number and file name for keeping track of
the compilation. And, as I mentioned, there is no trace of this
extra "s" anywhere. Nevertheless, the first function defined in the
file (as long as it is not #ifdef'd out of the code of course),
has an extra invisible paramater (this according to lint as well
as cc!). This is crazy.