Pronunciations (was: And how do you pronounce "csh"?)

Dave Decot decot at hpisod2.HP.COM
Wed Oct 25 15:10:57 AEST 1989

> As you can see from my header, I work here in Germany.  I'm always debating
> with my colleagues over what the "correct" pronunciation for various UNIX
> things are. Here's a short list of the way some things are said here, and I'd
> like some feedback (e-mail of course!! :-) on what the One True Pronunciation
> for each item is:
>
> 		sed = ess - e - dee
> 		ed  = e - dee
> 		awk = a - w - k
> 		ioctl = i - o control
> 		fcntl = f - control
> 		strrchr = stir - recker
> 		tty  =  t - t - y
> 		uucico = you - you - kee - ko
> 		HUPCL = hoop - sell
> 		mkdir = m - k - dir
> 		mknod = m - k - node
> 		pg  = p - g

Here's what I believe to be the most common American pronunciations among
people who've been in the UNIX business a while:

		sed = sehdd
		ed  = ee - DEE
		awk = awk
		ioctl = eye - o - cun - TROLL *OR* eye octal
		fcntl = EF - control
		strrchr = stir - ER - cur
		tty  =  t - t - Y *OR* titty
		uucico = you... you see... I see... oh