Two identical filenames in one directory!

Pete French pcf at galadriel.bt.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 17:30:35 AEST 1989

>From article <705 at lakart.UUCP>, by dg at lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough):
> From article <22 at minya.UUCP>, by jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers):
>
> If I were a _REAL_ hacker, I'd suggest opening the raw disk device
> (/dev/rsm0g or whatever) for UPDATE, seeking along it looking for
> the string "active", and then just patching the disk itself. [1]
> I do this on a fairly regular basis to my machine at home, but then
> the file structure of CP/M is a bit simpler that UNIX :-)

Actually I have done this - but it is rather hamperred by not having a binary
editor in UNIX . I used vi and it didnt work very well, there is nothing
like rebooting and finding the whole of /usr/bin in lost+_found to
convince you that a biunary editor would be nice.

(No - I am _NOT_ joking)

-Pete.

--
       -Pete French.               | "Love is the corpse,
  British Telecom Research Labs.   |  That crawls on dreams,