Pronunciations (was: And how do you pronounce "csh"?)

Paul Gillingwater paul at csnz.co.nz
Fri Oct 27 07:44:21 AEST 1989

In article <440 at nixba.UUCP> mike at nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) writes:
>As you can see from my header, I work here in Germany.  I'm always debating
>with my colleagues over what the "correct" pronunciation for various UNIX
>things are.
I was working in Spain recently with some UNIX people, and this is
some of what I heard:

UNIX:	you - niece	(The X is a sibilant when postfixed)
XENIX:	chen - ees	(X becomes a "ch" sound when prefixed)
vi:	vee		(that's 'i' as in Si)
uucico:	ooh - ooh - thee - tho (that's "th" as in cloth)

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul at csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul