Further name games (was: Real Time UNIX (was: How ... a wizard?))

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Thu Oct 26 16:10:15 AEST 1989

This hardly seems wizardly, yet this is where it's being discussed,
with some big names even chiming in.  Sigh, hopefully the heat will be
fairly mild for perpetuating this ...

In <8000001 at hpopd.HP.COM> andyc at hpopd.HP.COM (Andrew Cunningham) writes:
Andrew> How you pronounce /usr/ucb/vi (or /usr/bin/vi, if you have HP-UX
Andrew> or some similar system)  depends less upon how long you've used UNIX
Andrew> and more on who taught it.

Uh oh.  Path names.  Okay, how about the following?  (How I say it is
listed first.)

Directory       How I've heard it
=========       =================
  usr           yoo-zer  you-ess-ahr  oo-zer
  var           vahr  vair
  tmp           temp  tump(?)
  adm           ay-dee-em  ad-mihn  ay-duhm
  ucb           you-cee-bee  uhk-buh
  bin           bihn  bine
  dev           dehv  deev
  lib           lihb  libe
  lost+found    [... um, like, :-)...]

Files           How I've heard it
 .cshrc         [dot] seesh-are-cee seesh-irk
 .rhosts        [dot] are-hosts  roasts

Aside to the fellow who sent me a nice little dissertation on "char
*p", I couldn't find a path back to you.  I say "care star pee",
though. :-)  [And I _do_ say the first syllable of "character" to
rhyme with "care", too.]

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))