ls -A

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Sun Oct 8 12:40:54 AEST 1989

In article <1989Oct7.191435.26382 at rpi.edu>, tale at pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:
> So you're saying then that the shell glob functions in a BSD universe
> should check for uid 0 and expand * to all non-`.' and `..' entries in a
> directory?  It doesn't:

Basicly yes, it should. (Just my opinion)  However, I think this could
break lots of existing shells, so it probably wouldn't be implemented even
if somebody else thought it should be that way.

> Darn those broken shells.  (To be fair, Conor didn't comment on
> whether ls -A for root is "the right thing", but it does not have the
> consistency he addressed in the article.)

I don't like it.  If I wanted to see the . files I would use the -a.  I don't
feel that it provides any special service to have it operate differently
for root.  Root should know enough to use the -a when he wants to.