cat > vmunix (was: Re: how do you tell a wizard)

Dave Mankins dm at asgard.think.com
Sat Oct 28 01:45:43 AEST 1989

Firstly, saying ``cat > vmunix'' presupposes there being a unix already
executing on the machine, or at least the dear old V6 shell that we know
and love (which implemented ``goto'' by doing a seek on its standard input!
and which had most other flow-of-control implemented as programs, not
built-in commands).

Secondly, at the time, the kernel was called ``unix'', not ``vmunix''.

Third, the technique used was to to deposit the code using the switches
on the front panel of the PDP-11.

Which reminds me...  Wizards can tell you the etymology of the name, ``dsw''.

Also, a wizard understands the code ``explained'' by a
comment in the V6 kernel which concluded, ``You are not expected to
understand this.''

In addition to the Lions book, wizards probably also have a dog-eared
copy of the old blue BSTJ special issue on UNIX (and eclectic wizards might
have retained the companion volume on the Atlanta Fiber Optic installation).

But this is ancient history.  Hmm.  A young wizard can tell you how ``['' in the
Bourne shell works.

Or, there is the old test: Someone who truly understands UNIX not only
understands why ``rm *'' screws you, but understands why IT HAS TO BE THAT WAY.
david mankins (dm at think.com)