Formatting AT&T diskettes in ms-dos box

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Tue Oct 31 02:54:25 AEST 1989

In article <168 at volvo.vd.volvo.se>, peter at vd.volvo.se (Peter Hkansson) writes:
|  My original question was about formatting 720K 5 1/4 diskettes in a
|  PC in a way that those diskettes are acceptable for use in a AT&T 3b2 system.
|
|  DOS format does not work (the command works but the target system does
|  not accept even the low-level format).

  If you have correctly installed DRIVER.SYS and formatted with the
correct options on DOS format you will be able to generate a 720k floppy
on an AT (1.2MB) type drive. Since various vendors hack their drivers
and format commands I can't give you the correct incantation for YOUR
machine.

  I have seen DOS gurus do this on Dell MS-DOS and PC-DOS with vendor
supplied software, and have been able to read the disks as 720k on
Xenix. Is the 3B2 format the same? The DOS stuff produces 80 tracks, 9
sectors of 512 bytes.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon