The Great Vi Controversy

Brain in Neutral bin at primate.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 22 01:13:17 AEST 1989

Ok, ok, ok, you can stop the flood of mail now.
Little did I realize what I hornet's nest I would stir up.

Anyway, my mail indicates that vee-eye is indeed the more prevalent
pronounciation, over vye (as in "curl up and die for pronouncing vi that
way" :-).  There appears to be some evidence that there are regional
preferences, though of course the notorious mobility of computer professionals
would tend to mitigate that a bit.

A number of people pointed out that the vi manual says vee-eye is correct.
Actually, I've known that for over a decade, and have known it since shortly
after I heard of vi, having dug out the manual and read it cover-to-cover.
Since everyone I knew said vye (this included instructors, computer lab
personnel, etc.), I guess I imprinted to that pronounciation.

A few made scurrilous and brazen attacks, impugning the intelligence
and/or wizard-ness of those wizards I know who pronounce vi as vye.
I suppose this makes them feel big.  Whoopie.

Paul DuBois
dubois at primate.wisc.edu