"find" thrashes NFS servers

Hugh LaMaster lamaster at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 4 10:35:54 AEST 1989

Why does "find" thrash NFS servers?  Is there anything that can be done
about it?

I have observed it on a wide variety of machines and situations, but I
don't know the cause or cure, if any.  If you haven't tried it, run a
performance monitor on a server, go to a client, and find something
in /usr say or whatever is mounted on the server.  I have seen load averages
as high as 35 and 90% in system state on a 2 MIPS Sun server - 4 nfs daemons,
Xylogics 753/ Imprimis SMD-E drives.  I have also seen this effect on Ultrix.

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster at ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035
  Phone:  (415)694-6117