How to use Sun RPC for large slow procedure calls

Rich Salz rsalz at bbn.com
Wed Oct 11 06:03:12 AEST 1989

In <21090 at adm.BRL.MIL> Kemp at DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>  I certainly wouldn't characterize
>callbacks as a "kludge", any more than device interrupts are a "kludge"
>to get around the problems of polled I/O.
If the RPC system decides to do time-outs, and you have to do something
to circumvent that, then yes, it is a gross hack.

Sun RPC should check to see if the (remote) CPU and the receiving process
have died before blindly resubmitting the request.

Anything else requires the application level to work-around the IPC level,
and that's just about the best definition of a kludge I've ever heard of.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz at uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.