How do you tell a wizard?

Mark J. DeFilippis mark at promark.UUCP
Tue Oct 24 12:40:50 AEST 1989

In article <1989Oct22.174927.3736 at world.std.com>, madd at world.std.com (jim frost) writes:
> In article <227 at promark.UUCP> mark at promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
> |Wizard implies "knows all" [...]
>
> Actually the definition I'm most comfortable with is:
>
> "A Wizard is someone who can do something that you don't know how to do."
>
> I believe you will find that this is appropriate in most contexts.

I don't know how to repair pipes, but I don't consider my plumber a wizard.
I don't know how to drive a fork lift, but I don't consider our fork lift
 operator a wizard.
I don't know how to drive a 5 speed, but I do not consider all those that
 can wizards.

(For those fork lift operators out there that are wizards and are
moonlighting as programmer wizards, I mean no disrespect).

I guess "most" is a loose term.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd at adelphi.UUCP  or  mark at promark.UUCP